[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem with PyObjC memory usage ~

Virgil Dupras hsoft at hardcoded.net
Tue Feb 15 11:54:51 CET 2011

On 2011-02-15, at 11:34 AM, Fur Yao wrote:

> It works fine.  But I found it will couse a lot of memory usage( without Python about 20M and with Python it goes up to 50M or higher).
>
> I want to know how to release the unnecessary memory usage~

When importing modules like "Foundation" or "Appkit" in Python, big files with metadata are loaded up. As long as you import those modules, you'll get this high memory usage. Addressing this problem is on PyObjC's roadmap, but its maintainer, Ronald, is pretty much the only one working on it, so development is slow.

If you want to reduce memory usage, you might have to convert a part of your code to Objective-C, yes. I wrote an article about that a while ago: http://www.hardcoded.net/articles/embedded-pyobjc.htm

> Or I have to rewrite all the python code to Objective-C~
>
> And another question , if I use PyObjC in my project. Should I open my source?

No, it's licensed under MIT.

Virgil