[Pythonmac-SIG] Python development on OSX

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Jan 17 08:38:58 CET 2011

In article
<AANLkTimAQyLnDOSKYvo5fnpfUi4LwD61697nAUUtwWGH at mail.gmail.com>,
 Tony Cappellini <cappy2112 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Daniel O'Donovan
> <dan.odonovan at gmail.com>wrote:
> > I think you'll find that the biggest difference between MacPorts python
> > (and fink python) and most other builds (python.org for example), is that
> > MacPorts uses X11 rather than Aqua (Apple's native window manager) and are
> > not built as Apple 'Frameworks' - but rather regular shared libraries (more
> > like with linux).

Actually, while Fink uses a Unix-style shared library build, most other
distributors including MacPorts, the Apple-supplied Pythons in OS X, and
the ActiveState Pythons, use an OS X framework build based on the
python.org builds.  The Tk on MacPorts is built as an X11 version by
default but there is an Aqua port variant at well.  Unfortunately, the
Aqua variant is broken on OS X 10.6 but there is hope that it will get
unbroken now that ActiveState has started packaging a reliable version
of the patched Cocoa-based Tk 8.5 which works in both 32- and 64-bit
modes.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org