[Pythonmac-SIG] Getting an Error When Running App built with Py2app

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 9 00:15:23 CEST 2011

Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>>> That should be "is really *NOT* expected to work right...". :)

> And that's wrong. Py2app should work just fine with Apple's python,
> and then creates a semi-standalone app bundle that doesn't include
> Python itself. The advantage is a smaller application bundle, the
> disadvantage is that you must run it on the same OSX release as you
> built it on (or a newer one, AFAIK the result of building on 10.5 can
> run on 10.6)

OK -- I've always know that that was supposed to be the case, and a
py2app'd bundle should certainly work on the machine it was built on anyway.

However, if I recall correctly, there have been issues for years with
not just the core Python distribution not being included, but things
getting ugly with installed add on packages not getting included either
(or not properly). So I've always stayed away from trying, and
encouraged others to do the same. That experience may be the result of
bugs that no longer exist.

OTOH, if, indeed, using the system python results in a smaller bundle
that works just fine on all versions of OS-X >= to the one it was built
on -- that could be really nice and useful.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov