[Pythonmac-SIG] debugging bus error on launch [py2app]

Jeffrey O'Neill jeff.oneill at openstv.org
Fri Jun 10 01:10:29 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com>wrote:

> Another option to get more information, could you run:
>
> $ DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES=1 /dist/OpenSTV.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenSTV
>
> This will print the libraries that get loaded, and might provide insight in
> what's going on.
>
> Also: what GUI libraries do you use? Can you reproduce the issue in a
> smaller program that you can share?  The latter would allow me to debug the
> issue on my machine.

I set the environment var and this is what I get:

$ ./dist/OpenSTV.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenSTV
dyld: loaded:
/Users/joneill/OpenSTV/OpenSTV/./dist/OpenSTV.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenSTV
dyld: loaded: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
dyld: loaded: /usr/lib/system/libmathCommon.A.dylib
dyld: loaded:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation
dyld: loaded: /usr/lib/libauto.dylib
dyld: loaded: /usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib
dyld: loaded: /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib
dyld: loaded: /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib
dyld: loaded: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib
Bus error

This doesn't enlighten me, but perhaps it will give others an idea...

The only GUI library I use is WxPython.  I'll work on creating a smaller
test case for debugging purposes.

To respond to Chris's question, I delete build and dist in my setup.py using
this:
    # Remove the build and dist folders
    shutil.rmtree("build", ignore_errors=True)
    shutil.rmtree("dist", ignore_errors=True)
so that I never forget!