[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: distutils and stdarg.h

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Feb 9 21:55:33 CET 2012

In article
<CALGmxEJVLD6fvUTxzhm3DfNDCLGC8wH_-UY-hGOOPF=qY9CTFw at mail.gmail.com>,
 Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Russell E. Owen <rowen at uw.edu> wrote:
>
> > I suggest you try one of these things:
> > - Use gcc 4.0.1 to build extensions for 32-bit python.org python. That's
> > what I'm still doing. It requires XCode 3.x.
>
> Thanks -- I"ll try that. but:
>
> 1) I thought distutils took care of calling the "right" compliler to
> match what pyotn had been built with. I guess not.

Distutils *does* try to call the right CC compiler (that is, the
compiler the Python itself was built with), unless the
module/package/distribution's setup.py overrides it.  If it is using C++
code, though, you may have to override that yourself since Python itself
does not contain any C++ code and I don't think there is any special
code in Distutils to override C++ stuff.

> 2) how do I use 4.01. with distutils?

For the any C++ modules, you may need to override the C++ compiler
choice by using a CXX environment variable.

What OS version are you trying this on, BTW?

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org