Progress towards the next release

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 23:16:19 EDT 2011

2011/9/15 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>

> Hi Tony
>
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Tony Yu <tsyu80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm still playing around with colors and levels---as you can see in the
> > first attachment (demo_array). Also, I've attached some mock-ups of a
> banner
> > using the logo (demos 1 & 2). demo_2 is in reference to the package
> rename
> > discussion. (Somewhat identifiable with scikits.image and pronounceable;
> I'm
> > not sure if I like the way it looks in print, though.)
>
> I just read the code you wrote to do this; very cool!  How did you
> determine the coefficients for the SciPy spline?

I actually did that manually; i.e. I kind of knew where I wanted the anchor
points and approximated the angles, then adjusted from there. The smarter
thing to do would've been to trace it with a drawing program and then export
the Bezier points, but I didn't know a good way of doing it.

Also, which font did you use for the logos you made?  If you have an
> SVG file, maybe also include that in the archive.

In the samples I sent, I used Helvetica Neue Light. Unfortunately, I drew
those up with Keynote---just because it was easier for me---so I don't have
an SVG file (Keynote and Preview don't have SVG export options). Ideally, I
would've just drawn the text in Matplotlib, but at the time, I didn't feel
like manually manipulating the text coordinates.

I'm thinking of
> adding all of this into the main repo.  In fact, we should probably
> use this as a tutorial example.
>
> The snake logo + text as it appears on the Lena example will do
> perfectly for the webpage.

I hope a PDF is OK. If not, I can work on a fully Matplotlib solution, but
it'll have to wait until I have some free time.

Best,
-T