[scikit-learn] Artificial neural network not learning lower values of the training sample

muhammad waseem m.waseem.ahmad at gmail.com
Tue May 31 11:55:10 EDT 2016

Hi All,
I am trying to train an ANN but until now it is not learning the lower
values of the training sample. I have tried using different python
libraries to train ANN. The aim is to predict solar radiation from other
weather parameters (regression problem). I think the ANN is confusing lower
values (winter/cloudy days) with the night-time values (probably). I have
tried the following but none of them worked;

 1. Scaling data between different values e.g. [0,1],[-1,1]
 2. Standardising data to have zero mean and unit variance
 3. Shuffling the data
 4. Increasing the training samples (from 3 years to 10 years)
 5. Using different train functions
 6. Trying different transfer functions
 7. Using few input variables
 8. Varying hidden layers and hidden layers' neurons

Any idea what could be wrong or any directions to try?

Thanks
Kindest Regards
Waseem