[SciPy-dev] Python (Enthought Edition) for Windows test release

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 19 10:06:13 EST 2005

    Joe> Some highlights of the latest version:...

    Joe> - matplotlib

Hi Joe -- excellent work.  I recommend one important change to the
matplotlib configuration file .matplotlibrc (which resides in the same
directory as setup.py and ultimately gets placed in
C:\Python23\share\.matplotlibrc.  The default backend in the src
tarball which you used is GTKAgg, which doesn't work in the default
enthon install because pygtk is not available.  I suggest changing
this to either TkAgg or WXAgg.  Since most of the enthon tools default
to wx, perhaps WXAgg is the natural choice.  Eg, the line in
.matplotlibrc should read

backend      : WXAgg    # the default backend

I tested enthon matplotlib with tkagg, wxagg and ran my suite of
example figure drivers for the image backends (PNG/PS/SVG) and it
passed with flying colors.

There are already a few bugs that are not mission critical that have
been fixed in CVS since the 0.70.1 release.  Perhaps we can get
together for an updated version for the enthon 2.4 release.

Many thanks!
JDH