[SciPy-dev] Python (Enthought Edition) for Windows test release

Joe Cooper joe at enthought.com
Wed Jan 19 10:47:30 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 09:06 -0600, John Hunter wrote:

>     Joe> Some highlights of the latest version:...
>
>     Joe> - matplotlib
>
> Hi Joe -- excellent work.  I recommend one important change to the
> matplotlib configuration file .matplotlibrc (which resides in the same
> directory as setup.py and ultimately gets placed in
> C:\Python23\share\.matplotlibrc.  The default backend in the src
> tarball which you used is GTKAgg, which doesn't work in the default
> enthon install because pygtk is not available.  I suggest changing
> this to either TkAgg or WXAgg.  Since most of the enthon tools default
> to wx, perhaps WXAgg is the natural choice.  Eg, the line in
> .matplotlibrc should read
>
> backend      : WXAgg    # the default backend
>
> I tested enthon matplotlib with tkagg, wxagg and ran my suite of
> example figure drivers for the image backends (PNG/PS/SVG) and it
> passed with flying colors.
>
> There are already a few bugs that are not mission critical that have
> been fixed in CVS since the 0.70.1 release.  Perhaps we can get
> together for an updated version for the enthon 2.4 release.

Hey John,

Thanks for giving it a spin and the configuration tip.  I'll get that
change into the next test release.  If you'd like to roll a 0.70.2
release between now and the end of the week, I'll be happy to drop the
new version in.  Since you added build fixes for 0.70.1, my aap recipe
downloads, builds, and installs into the installer prefix with a single
command (and it apparently works!).  As long as that keeps happening,
I'll happily update it as frequently as you do until we go gold.  ;-)

This is just the kind of feedback I need.  I have no clue how folks are
using Enthon out there, or even how many of the components are called,
and having developers who know what's supposed to happen try it out is
very nice.