[SciPy-Dev] scipy.stats

Vincent Davis vincent at vincentdavis.net
Tue Jun 1 16:55:37 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 1:24 PM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Open source development is still a collaborative process, and the
> person to write the code and the final tests doesn't necessarily have
> to be the same person. For example, Skipper is doing a lot more than
> his "fair" share of writing formal tests in statsmodels, and I'm
> writing a good amount of test code for scipy.
> (Skipper and I usually provide sufficient documentation, developer
> comments, and references that we are in most cases able to understand
> the code.)
>
> But if the original coder doesn't have the time to bring the code up
> to testing and documentation standard, then the code should stay out
> of trunk until someone finds the time to get it through a review and
> quality control process. The problem is that, that someone might not
> be able to figure out how to fix possible problems (my example is
> Fisher's exact test).

I think this is important and as someone that is fairly new to python
and open source development I greatly value they input of others in
reviewing and making suggestions to my contributions. In addition, I
might not know how to finish all parts of a contribution and knowing
that I can contribute pieces that are within my abilities and others
can review and possibly finish encourage me to contribute.

Vincent