[SciPy-Dev] scipy.io.wavfile to read byte array directly?

Miles Dowe milesdowe at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 16:35:06 EDT 2016

Hi all,

I was interested in the creation of a function for the scipy.io.wavfile
utility. Rather than requiring that read() only be performed on a file, I'd
like to add a read() function where a byte array of WAV data can be
provided directly.

Here's some background behind this motivation. I am a student with the
University of Washington and I have been working with a former student's
machine learning algorithm. The aim of the algorithm is to detect human
laughter and it utilizes SciPy and NumPy.

We're aiming to create a service-oriented architecture maintained in AWS
and our audio data is stored within S3. I've been experimenting with the
Boto3 library, which returns a byte array, and I'd like to provide that
data directly to the machine learning script (instead of writing to the
disk and reading from it).

I'd like to hear your thoughts and might experiment with this idea until
approval is expressed by the community.

Thank you for your time,

Miles
--