[SciPy-User] lsoda vs. Coulomb friction

Warren Weckesser warren.weckesser at enthought.com
Wed Feb 3 20:17:52 EST 2010

Hi Ryan,

I have two suggestions, but the second option requires using a
capability that the scipy ODE solvers currently don't provide.

Since the underlying problem is that you are using discontinous
equations with a solver that expects smooth equations, you can replace
your discontinuous function with a smooth approximation.  The attached
script, coulomb_approx.py, includes an approximation for your friction
terms.  It generates the attached PNG file.

Also attached is lsoda_vs_coulomb_friction2.py, which is a modified
version of your script.  It computes the solution twice, once as in the
original, and once with the approximation.  With the smooth
approximation, lsoda does not complain, and--at least at the resolution
of the pylab plot--you can not distinguish the two solutions.   Whether
an approximation like this is good enough depends on the ultimate goals
of your analysis.  There maybe behavior very close to v=0 that you want
to observe but that are not demonstrated with the smooth approximation.

The second option is to use an ODE solver with "root finding" (aka
"event detection").  You would set the solver to stop when it attempted
to cross v=0.  Depending on the direction of the crossing, it would
change a parameter appropriately and then resume from the point where it
stopped.  Unfortunately, the current ODE solvers in scipy do not include
this capability (and "rolling your own" can be hard to get right).

Warren