[spambayes-dev] FW: SF.NET Project Donation System

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sun Dec 21 20:35:09 EST 2003

[Tim]
> I'd like the people here working their spare-time asses off on
> SpamBayes to give this some thought.  We don't *have* to give
> SpamBayes contributions to the PSF, and I wouldn't object if the
> people doing the work here wanted to split donations among
> themselves.

I'm happy with any contributions going to the PSF, or SF, or whatever 'good
cause' people like most (including a new yacht for Mark <wink>).  If
contributions were more likely to be 100 bucks every day or two instead of
now and again, I might think differently ;)  In addition, if I received
anything, I don't know how that would be viewed here - if it was seen as
payment for work, then I'd have to greatly reduce the amount of time I muck
about with spambayes.

That said, although that's my preference, I don't feel strongly against an
'individual' system, if that's the majority preference.

> It probably wouldn't amount to much, but even 100 bucks now
> and again can work wonders for morale.

True, but knowing (or wondering) that others are getting 100 bucks now and
again and you're not, or knowing that people could be giving you a buck now
and then, and aren't, might be negative for morale.

[Richie]
> (Anyway, we all know Mark deserves all of it for
> fighting Outlook all this time.  And in Australian dollars,
> 100 bucks US would set him up for life! 8-)

Or in NZ dollars, I could buy most of Narnia & Middle Earth ;)

> Anyone who's spent real money on the project, like Rob with
> the spambayes.org domain, could be reimbursed.

I think if the money does keep going to the PSF, then we ought to be able to
convince them to fork out for that sort of thing (is there anything apart
from the domain that costs at the moment?).  From my ignorant perspective,
that seems easier in terms of tax etc, too.

> We could add developer links to the Donations page, so that
> if a user wanted to donate to a specific developer, he could.

It seems to me that this would end up being more of a donate-for-support
page, which leaves out those people that support but don't develop.  My
personal suspicion is that people are more likely to want to donate for
support than development, anyway.

=Tony Meyer