[spambayes-dev] RE: [Spambayes] How low can you go?

Seth Goodman nobody at spamcop.net
Tue Dec 23 11:40:32 EST 2003

Thanks to all for replying.  However, I am still a bit confused by the
advise (or like we say in sunny Wisconsin,  Uff Dah!).  Skip suggests trying
out MySQL or PostgreSQL to implement the various bidirectional mappings (I
assume this means trash the existing database and create new ones).  Alex
suggests that bidirectional maps are overkill and not to bother.  Alex also
has some scripts that do much of what I am trying to do, but it sounds like
they will only work in a procmail environment and not with Outlook, which is
where I am stuck.  I run an Outlook client in IMO mode and fetch mail with
POP3.  Tim appeared to agree with Alex that I shouldn't mess with the main
database but I should nonetheless experiment and I know he likes the
bidirectional maps.  I understand that there are also a bunch of testing
frameworks/harnesses checked in and standard data sets to test against,
though it sounds like they don't work with Outlook, which is a real pity.

So I'm again asking for direction in the initial, most important decisions.
For testing message and hapax expiration with various training regimens
under the Outlook environment (if that is even possible or reasonable):

1) Do you recommend that I use the Outlook code base or ditch the Outlook
plug-in and install the sbproxy version from source?  I hate to lose the
integration and I don't even know if the proxy produces mbox-style mail
folders that the myriad scripts already written can work with.

2) Do you recommend I start with the existing database and modify it, or as
Skip suggested, change over to a database that doesn't have the multi-thread
corruption problem?

3) And finally, Skip previously suggested that I check out the CVS trunk.
Is that still your recommendation?

Thanks for all your help.  I just want to avoid taking initial mis-steps
that would make anything I put together useless to anybody else.  I also
don't want to duplicate efforts that others who are experienced have already
taken.

--
Seth Goodman

  Humans:   off-list replies to sethg [at] GoodmanAssociates [dot] com

  Spambots: disregard the above