[spambayes-dev] More CVS branch/tags questions

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 5 09:41:33 EST 2003

Richie Hindle wrote:
> [Kenny]
>> Fixes that apply to both the 1.0 and 1.1 releases
>> need to be made on both the branch and the trunk (because the current
>> state of those versions could be different at the time the fix is
>> made).
>
> No, definitely not!  Fixes made on the bugfix branch should be
> batch-merged onto the head once in a while, using "cvs up -j".

That's cool, I didn't know CVS could do that.  I was simply going off
the previous description of bug fixing that you referenced in your

> So you get CVS to apply all the edits that have been made on the
> bugfix branch to the head: you take a head checkout and do "cvs up -j
> bugfix". You get some conflicts where bugfixes have been made to code
> that's changed on the head, and you fix them (this is less of a
> problem than you might think, once the code has stopped migrating
> wholesale from place to place as it can do in the early stages of a
> project).

Have you ever seen this become an issue if the new line of development
does decide to do a significant refactoring of the code?

Thanks for the excellent description of the process.  That's good
information for anyone working on a CVS project, not just for SpamBayes.

--
Kenny Pitt