[spambayes-dev] RE: [Spambayes] Spambayes 1.0a7 - windowsproxy_tray installation

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 12:47:18 EST 2003

Tony Meyer wrote:
>> At some point in the not-too-distant past, a decision was
>> made that the Windows scripts pop3proxy_service.py and
>> pop3proxy_tray.py should be installed to the Python Scripts
>> directory along with the other command-line scripts.  It
>> seems this was a bit premature, as pop3proxy_tray obviously
>> isn't designed to be run that way.
>
> This is my fault - I forgot about the icons.  The problem was (several
> people reported it after the 1.0a6 release) that everything else *is*
> installed into the python scripts directory, and so the readme tells
> people to then discard the expanded archive - but they then didn't
> have the contents of the (spambayes) windows directory.
>
> A few comments:
>  * For the vast majority of people, this won't be a problem, because
> they'll use the binary installer for spambayes and it'll install a
> frozen pop3proxy_tray in the requested place.

Very true, as this has proven the norm for the Outlook plugin.  We just
need to finalize the installer and get it out in front of people.

These Windows-specific scripts seem to be more akin to the Outlook
plugin than to the more Unix-oriented command line scripts, so would the
best course be to handle them the same way?  For the Outlook plugin, the
binary installer is the general case, and those who want/need to run
from source do so from the complete source directory.

>  * Could the tray handle the icon files like the web ui handles it's
> non python files?  (with resourcepackage)?  Would this be desirable?

Probably, with enough extra work.  The Web UI is quite happy having the
raw file data available in an in-memory object.  Windows will happily
load an icon from either a disk file or a properly formatted resource
(as the binary will use).  IIRC, thoug, it doesn't provide much help if
you have the same data as the file but it isn't physically in a file.

>> At the very least, we should probably stop copying it
>> to the Python\Scripts directory until the problem is fixed.
>
> I would rather that we just came up with a solution to the missing
> icon files problem and checked that in, rather than stop copying it.

Agreed.  I was thinking only about reducing confusion in the meantime.

--
Kenny Pitt