[spambayes-dev] RE: [Spambayes] Stamina-RX

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Thu Oct 16 17:55:42 EDT 2003

Tony Meyer writes:
> Does anyone know what the story with these is?  Is this some sort of very
> subtle spam?  I notice that the spambayes filter for spambayes at python.org
> gives them a very solid unsure (.54 for this one).

My theory is that it's a "priming the pump" attack against greylisting and
similar systems.  ie. send 1 mail first with no content -- which will
always be considered non-spam, in terms of body tokens at least, and will
whitelist the sender somehow; then send the real spam later, possibly
through the same relays with the same headers, so that the whitelisted
sender will get the spam through.  However I'm not certain, I haven't
looked into it at all.

The other possibility is that it's just simply broken spamware ;)

I have the spam body text for that, captured at another address BTW.

Unfortunately I've been deleting the blank spams, thinking the
broken-spamware scenario, in general; the "priming the pump" attack
only occurred to me today.

--j.