[spambayes-dev] Prevent multiple servers on Windows

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Sep 18 09:11:35 EDT 2003

[Richie]
> [Mark]
> > I propose that for Windows, we hack in a simple mutex to
> prevent *any* of
> > the server based apps from starting if any of them are
> already running.  We
> > can fix it later :)
>
> Sure.  One nit: the tray application ought to pop up a
> message box when it
> happens, rather than printing to the console/log.

It is all too hard :)

The current pop3proxy_tray app restarts the server using the same "state"
object, but only calling prepare() once.  The "correct" fix appears to be to
give the State object init() and close() methods, and anything else just
starts looking too ugly even for my eyes <wink>.

Further, pop3proxy tray needs a little work in that it tends to assume its
"self.started" variable, which would be reasonable if it not for an external
service and console .exe that all compete for being the one true server.

None of this is too hard, but is very risky given the 0.6 release.  I see 2

1) Forget these new changes for now, and release 0.6 as it stands.  This can
still include a windows binary - if it is good enough for source-code users,
it is good enough for binary users (except for the sister factor)

2) I check in some fairly intrusive changes that *should* all work <wink>.
We delay 0.6 until things are again shaken out.

I don't really care.  Option (1) means saving my changes in a diff and
uploading them to sourceforge.  No decisive replies defaults to (1) <wink>

Mark.