[spambayes-dev] Another incremental training idea...

Simone Piunno simone.piunno at wseurope.com
Wed Jan 14 08:27:05 EST 2004

Alle 14:09, mercoledì 14 gennaio 2004, Barry Warsaw ha scritto:

> > Barry> Oh sorry, yes I do move unsure to my ham or spam train folders as
> > Barry> I deal with them.  Those numbers are going down (and now skew
> > Barry> heavily toward spam) as I've started to train on both the wrapped
> > Barry> and unwrapped spam messages (wrapped as ham, unwrapped as spam).

> Mailman includes the original message as an attachment
> to the notification.  It's that attachment-in-a-notification that I'm
> calling a wrapped spam.  An unwrapped spam might be the same original
> message that makes it through to the list, or you get directly.  Wrapped
> spams are very spammy but they are actually ham because of the
> notification part.

My experience is that, in the long run, training on these wrapped spam
messages kills performance, raising the likeliness of fn and unsure.  I don't
train them, because anyway I don't need to be fast discarding held spam, so
checking the daily report is enough.  I just want to react immediatly to held
ham.

Some possible improvement for list admins would be automatically recognize
that a message is a Mailman notification and:
 - just train on payload or just train on the external message.
 - only score payload or only score the external message.
Of course this would be a for-mailman-list-admins-only patch.

--
Simone Piunno, chief architect
Wireless Solutions SPA - DADA group