[Spambayes] Email client integration -- what's needed?

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri Nov 1 22:48:12 2002

[Jeremy Hylton]
> The pop proxy is great for people who use pop, but lots of people
> don't.

Name 362.  Ha!

> Even for people who use pop, the proxy doesn't help with training at all.
> So I'm afraid it's just a mess for non-Windows users.

I don't know that means it can't be less of a mess, though.  For example, I
expect we could use a common Training class, which manages a database of
opaque message objects and takes care of things like calling appropriate
classifier methods at appropriate times, and remembering which messages have
been trained on as what.  Mark invented a bunch of code like that for the
Outlook client, but there's really nothing Outlook-specific about it apart
from the all Outlook-specific bits <wink>.  Those could be factored out,
though.

A budding system architect could have a lot of fun sorting this out.  John
Draper seemed to be threatening to at one point, but didn't get much
mindshare at the time.  It's time now!