[Spambayes] Spambayes has stopped filtering altogether

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sat Dec 13 19:49:29 EST 2003

[Eric Kehr]
> The program has worked perfectly for a long time, and now suddenly has
> stopped working - no Spam percentages are displayed and the logs
> (attached) are full of errors.
>
>  What should I do?

Unfortunately, they're all the same error, ending with:

    File "e:\src\spambayes\spambayes\classifier.py",
         line 217, in chi2_spamprob
    File "e:\src\spambayes\spambayes\classifier.py",
        line 465, in _getclues
    File "e:\src\spambayes\spambayes\classifier.py",
        line 316, in probability
    exceptions.AssertionError:

This is a sure sign that your training database has become corrupted, and
you have to retrain from scratch.  If you saved your training data, that's
easy:

    SpamBayes -> SpamBayes Manager -> Training ->
        check the "Rebuild entire database" box,
        select your training folders,
        click the "Start Training" button

It's very unusual to get a report of database corruption under the Outlook
addin, and I don't have a theory for why it happened.