[Spambayes] Local installation problem

User Tboss tboss at vegeta.p6m7g8.net
Fri Dec 19 16:06:40 EST 2003

I've seen this question asked several times on the digest page, but never
a good answer.

Is it possible to install Spambayes in a local directory?

$  python setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_scripts
running install_lib
creating /usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/spambayes
error: could not create '/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/spambayes': Permission denied

Can we re-direct this attempt to write to /usr/local/bin, which requires root,
to a directory underneath $HOME instead?

I'd think this would be a common request: i'm a user of a Unix system, but
not the administrator, and the admin can't be depended on to help out.

any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Todd