[Spambayes] Ximian Evolution

Kevin Turner acapnotic at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 6 08:18:45 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 10:18, Neale Pickett wrote:
> Kevin Turner <acapnotic at users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> > Current versions of Evolution 1.2 can filter messages based on the
> > exit code of a process you pipe them to.
>
> Okay, that would be easy enough to add as an option to hammiefilter.
> What exit codes mean what?

That's entirely configurable.  Bad news, though: It seems as if you have
to define two separate filters to test for two exit codes, i.e. a "spam"
filter and "unsure" filter and let the default case be "ham" or
something.  That means at least two invocations per message -- this is
getting very expensive.  Evolution discards the output from the pipe, so
you can't use it to add headers to the message to filter on.

> I've only used Evolution once or twice, but it seems to me that their
> whole gig is to get you to write plugins for everything.  So a bonobo
> (or whatever their object broker is called) component would be the Right
> Thing.  If we could make it as snazzy as the Outlook plugin, that'd be
> even Righter.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything that comes with my
Evolution installation or anything within easy reach of google that
explains what sort of things you can do through their component
interface.  Some heavy source-diving will be required.

--
The moon is waxing crescent, 22.2% illuminated, 4.6 days old.