[Spambayes] message lost in the system?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 26 10:26:17 EST 2003

I've been using a new MUA + spambayes setup for several weeks now.  Last
night at least two messages got lost in the system, and I'm at a loss to
explain how.  Luckily, there are copies of them sitting in the
pop3proxy's pop3proxy-unknown-cache directory.

I'm using Evolution 1.2.1 and have it configured to use pop3proxy for
mail coming from my ISP's pop server.  I read a few messages using the
ISP's web interface and was surprised to discover that they did not show
up in Evolution when I downloaded the messages.

I've got two pieces of software that I don't trust completely, but
Evolution has been around longer so I trust it a bit more :-).  Has
anyone else seen problems with the pop proxy losing mail?  I don't know
that the proxy is to blame, but it would be my first guess.

One interesting thing is that the messages that got lost were the last
messages to arrive in a big batch.  Is it possible that the proxy
somehow failed to deliver the last few messages?

I also wonder what the cache directories are for and what it means that
the lost messages were found in the "unknown" directory.

Jeremy