[Spambayes] [ spambayes-Feature Requests-680629 ] Outlook plugin: Delete asspam marks as read

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Thu Feb 27 10:48:33 EST 2003

[TimS]
> This is an interesting thread.  I think it should move to the
> main list.
> Pop3proxy has a very similar configuration function, which manages
> options into bayescustomize.ini (by default).  This is
> another area that we should solve the problem once...

Are you talking about the .ini file comments, and not the 'mark as read' ones?

If so, good, 'cause I was going to bring this up shortly anyway ;).  Mark & I had some discussion about this off the list, and I implemented some things (work have been working for me for the last couple of weeks at least).  The way it works (on my system) now is:
* All spambayes options are stored in the ini.  Some of these are accessable from the Outlook GUI (in the Advanced Dialog), and Outlook makes sure that these are saved if modified.
* All Outlook options are stored in a pickle.  All of these are accessable from the Outlook GUI, and Outlook also makes sure that these are saved if modified.

A couple of points:
* It certainly would be nice if all the non-core stuff (like [pop3proxy]) was not in the main options, so that those systems that didn't use it didn't have to load it.  (For example, pop3proxy and ui could be stored in a pickle/separate ini file).  However, this would break existing systems, so is bad, plus those that use those systems might not like it as much.  Plus those without any GUI would still need the options in the ini file.  So probably -1 for this, as abstractly nice as it would be.
* The current function in pop3proxy that updates the ini file is nice and small, but wipes any comments in the file, which it would be nice to keep.  I have a replacement for this that *my* Outlook plugin uses.  I have been thinking about abstracting this out, and making it a function of (probably) the Options class.  Pop3proxy could then use this function, so that there is only one set of code, and comments can be saved.

Thoughts?