[Spambayes] spambayes fronting a mailing list?

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Sat Jan 18 22:37:54 EST 2003

Since I have about eight lists on my Mailman server that relate to real
estate, I'd certainly hate to see any mortgage or refininance spam show up
in the canned spam seed. I'm sure that there are hosts for medical
purposes who wouldn't want to have penis and breast enlargement spam in
the seed.

The list intro as ham makes sense, as might sending a message (or a
series) comprising the current list membership, those e-mail addresses are
certainly strong ham clues.

Van

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

>     TP> Better to start by training on a few spam, and a few copies of
>     TP> the list introduction msg (a decent intro msg necessarily
>     TP> contains many words and lexicalisms characteristic of the
>     TP> list's topic).
>
> See my previous message about initial training.  We may want to have
> some canned spam to train on when we enable spambayes.  Using the list
> intro message is a neat idea for when you have no posts available for
> the list.
>
> If, OTOH, people take Skips advice and only turn it on when its
> necessary, then maybe we can use messages we already have to train
> it.  One source of known good messages are those the admin has
> explicitly approved.  Maybe if we have 20 canned spam, we can save up
> to the last 20 approved messages.  Then when the list admin enables
> spambayes, we train on those.
>
> -Barry

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,