[Spambayes] Fun with Outlook 2003 Beta
mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sat Jun 14 13:45:45 EDT 2003
> I thought I try to figure out why the plugin didn't work with
> outlook 2003
> beta using the code from CVS. After putting in a lot of print
> statements, it
> look like the only event called on the folder object was
> "OnActivate". So I
> copied the code from one of the other event handlers to OnActivate and
> commented out the "pass" (NOTE: I'm a Java and C/C++
> programmer, I just
> started looking into python a few days ago. So if my
> terminology is wrong,
> forgive me).
> I started outlook and, for the first time, saw the spam bayes
> toolbar. I
> opened to config dialog. I set some options. I didn't have a suitable
> "unsure" folder, so I clicked on the dialog. Created a new folder and
> renamed it. Tried to open the config dialog again and outlook crashed.
I've got this far myself (but only days ago, and haven't checked that in
yet.) Sean True has some ideas about why the AutoComplete fails - it is to
do with the dialogs - and if we are extremely lucky it will be the same
> result. To make a long story short, I had to reinstall
> outlook and reimport
> my email and contacts. No information was lost but it's not
> something I want
> to do 20 or 30 times while debugging this so I'll stick with
> the pop3 proxy.
Sheesh :( I would be sticking with pop3proxy too ;) You don't happen to
have MSVC hanging around, do you? <wink>
> Now the proxy works great. I'm using the windows service
> helper. I've only
> hit the following snags...
> * Outlook 2003 Beta allows the user to create rules based on
> the contents on
> message headers, but not the header itself. Meaning I have to
> make a rule
> that searches for "spam" in the headers instead of
> "X-Spambayes-Classification: spam". This worked fine until I
> joined this
> mailing list. It now filters all messages from this list into
> my spam folder
> despite them being marked a ham.
I'd suggest you are a pop3proxy feature request, or look into its existing
options - eg, the Outlook Express options for header mangling may suit.
> * The DBs got corrupted once after I shutdown without
> clicking the save and
> shutdown button on the web gui. I haven't reproduced it again.
This is probably a service related bug. The service should shutdown the
pop3proxy server, but I don't know how :) Now the service just terminates,
which could be nasty if the server is writing the DB at the time.
A bug on this would be great too, but it will need to be assigned to someone
who can tell me how to shut down the server internally :)
> * Every now and then the web gui seems to lose it's mind. The pop
> conversations don't increment and there are no messages to
> review -- but it
> still proxies and scores correctly. If I click the save and
> shutdown and
> then restart the service, it works normally including
> allowing me to the
> review the messages it claimed were not there on the previous run.
If this happens often enough, then try running the service in "debug" mode
(pop3proxy_service --debug). You may notice an exception or other warning
as this starts happening. Also, it may be worth checking the event log for
messages from the service - these would help diagnose the problem.
More information about the Spambayes