[Spambayes] RE: Total emails trained on web interface

Alan Campbell alan at mullen.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 14:32:28 EDT 2003

>> I had clocked up 90 spam and 78 ham.  I rebooted the server
>> and this went back to 0 for both.

>The two most obvious explanations for this are that your database has
>become corrupted, or that spambayes can't find your database.  If you
>use the web interface configuration page, you can set the location of
>the database - a full path ("C:\whatever\hammie.db", not just
>"hammie.db") is best.

The full path was being specified.

>> The ini file and pickle are still in
>> place and the ini file is being picked up when I run the web
>> interface.  I assume that my training is still there, just
>> not reporting the totals ?

>Are you definitely using a pickle and not dbm?  If that's the case,
then
>it's extremely unlikely that the database has become corrupted.  The
>easy way to check if the training is still there is to type a message
>into the "Classify message" box on the front page of the web interface
>and see what it scores (anything will do).  If it's exactly 0.5, and
the
>aren't any clues generated (apart from the *H* and *S* ones), then
there
>isn't any training information.

Very strange, I only have one database file, the
message_info_database.pck file.  The statistics_database.pck file
doesn't exist !

I had problems with the origional files, which were dbm and I was
advised to change to a pickle.  I couldn't get the convertion script to
work on them (different thread), so I decided to cut my loses and start
from scratch, following the instruction in the FAQ on how to use a
pickle.

I have stopped and restarted the pop3proxy_server several times, but it
doesn't want to create the stats pickle.  I downloaded the trainer
database, renamed that to statistics_database.pck and placed it in the
directory that I have setup (c:\spambayes\proxy) and it reports 18 spam
and 22 ham.  I have stopped and restarted the service a couple of times
and its still reporting 18/22.  I will see how this goes.

Thanks for the assistance.

Alan