[Spambayes] copying db to other computer? ; 2 ini files

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Oct 8 20:59:31 EDT 2003

> Is there any problem in just copying the files
>  default_bayes_database.db (5,112 KB)
> and
>  default_message_database.db (168 KB)
> to another computer with another Outlook?

This should work fine.  You will obviously lose the ability to "untrain" on
any messages, but the rest should work fine.

> P.S.: There ARE actually 2 (TWO) configuration files
> "default_bayes_customize.ini", one in the
>  Documents and Settings\Andreas\Application Data\SpamBayes
> and another in the
>  Program Files\Spambayes Outlook Addin
>
> So I changed the (German) settings
>  replace_nonascii_chars: False
> in BOTH of them, just to be shure
>
> In danger of repeating myself, I suggest to you to remove or
> rename one or the other of those 2 files in the next distribution,
> in order not to confuse people which of these 2 is the relevant.

The one in your personal directory is the relevant one.  The problem is that
one "program" directory is used to support multiple users.  The first time
SpamBayes is run for a user, we copy the .INI file from the program
directory to the user's directory, then use the one there.  So the one in
the "program" directory is really just the default for new users.  If I
remove this file from the distribution, I remove the ability to
"auto-configure" for each new user as we do now.

As we use a dumb file-copy, I can't even add a warning to the file
indicating anything, as the warning will also be copied :)  Another strategy
is possible, but personally I don't think the problem is worth the effort of
fixing :)  A note in the docs would be good, I agree - please suggest where
:)

Mark.