[Spambayes] Mulitple SpamBayes installs on a network

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Mon Oct 20 10:04:23 EDT 2003

From: Coe, Bob
> Wouldn't you then lose the ability to squirrel the
> database away in an inconspicuous place (the roaming
> profile, the non-roaming part of the roaming profile,
> the user's home directory, etc.)? As a system
> administrator, I don't like to see unnecessary increases
> in a user's mailbox size, but it's a lot easier to
> deal with (for instance) large home directories.

Yes and No. If we run just one spambayes process server-side at the SMTP
level, the Spambayes DB would probably have to be stored on a server
somewhere, or at least in a user's home directory on a server.

However, with the "multi-master" replicated database, the DB would still
be stored in the local portion of user's profile, and would simply be
synchronized with other local copies. Such synchronization might require
a third "master" copy of the Spambayes DB stored on a server somewhere.

Of course, all of this must be optional, you should still be able to
store the SPamBayes DB in the user's profile as is currently done.

Regards,
	-Ryan-