[Spambayes] Simple and Direct

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Oct 28 00:38:27 EST 2003

Hi John,

> Thank you for your help so far. You must be incredibly
> patient.

No problems.  Sorry the responses aren't always that fast - I'm a tad busy
with other ('real life') stuff at the moment, 'cause I'm getting married
this Saturday - this also means I'm out of email contact from 31/10 until
17/11, too, so hopefully we can figure this in the next few days, or someone
else on the list will step in.

> I double
> clicked the 'pop3proxy_tray.py' file and I also tried running it from
> the windows 'Run' option but neither gave me an icon on the
> screen such as you described.

I suspect this is for the same reason (whatever it is) as the problem with
pop3proxy, below.

> I have nonetheless put the file 'pop3proxy_tray.py' in
> the startup menu so it should load every time on startup.

Once everything is working, that should do the required job.

> Also in the
> directory C:\spambayes-1.0a5\windows I noticed a file called
> autoconfigure which I double clicked thinking that it might
> do what its name implies but it did not seem to change anything and when
> I opened it to read its contents it seemed a description of what needs to
be
> configured but the terms don't mean anything to me.

Alas, yes that is kinda the case.  At some point in the near future, this
script will take care of most of the configuration for you, but it's not
integrated yet, and isn't really intended to be used by anyone using the
1.0a5 release, apart from developers, perhaps.

[...]
> Here are my present settings:
> In Netspace 7.0 under edit/preferences/advanced/proxies there
> are five lines as follows:
[...]

You don't want to change these.  They handle a proxy between your copy of
Netscape and your ISP.

> Then under Mail and Newsgroups Account settings:
> Server Settings
> Server Name: XXX
> User Name: XXX
> Port 110

These are the ones you want to first note down (in case you need to put them
back) and then change.  The server name needs to be changed to "localhost".
The rest *should* be able to stay the same.

[...]
> I have replaced both the Server Name as well as the SMTP
> settings with the word 'localhost' but could not retrieve any emails.

This indicates that spambayes isn't running.  This is the right thing to do
(once it is), though.

> Running 'C:\spambayes-1.0a5\build\scripts-2.3\pop3proxy.py
> -b' briefly opens a dos window followed by the Netscape window
> showing the address http://localhost: 8880/ and the 'My Connection'
> window. If I click 'connect' I get the message 'The requested URL
> could not be retrieved'.

The dos window should stay open at this point, and you should get the main
spambayes web interface page rather than the "could not be retrieved"
information.

Try doing this:
  1.  Open up a dos window.
  2.  Type in "cd C:\spambayes-1.0a5"
  3.  Type in (without the quotes) "set
PYTHONPATH=C:\spambayes-1.0a5;C:\spambayes-1.0a5\spambayes-1.0a5;C:\spambaye
s-1.0a5\spambayes;%PYTHONPATH%" (and then return)
  4.  Type in (without the quotes) "python pop3proxy.py -b" (and then
return)
(if you get a "no such file error at this point, then continue, otherwise it
should work)
  5.  Type in (without the quotes) "cd spambayes-1.0a5" (and then return)
(if you get a "no such directory" error, then continue, otherwise try step 4
again)
  6.  Type in (without the quotes) "cd spambayes" (and then return)
  7.  Try step 4 again.