[Spambayes] SpamBayes and virus

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 1 17:29:51 EST 2004

Roar Jøssund wrote:
> Is it possible to tell SpamBayes that messages that contain an
> attachment named "Norton AntiVirus Deleted1.txt" are always spam?
> I receive much email with virus and it would be very useful if
> SpamBayes could understand that messages with this attachment "Norton
> AntiVirus Deleted1.txt" should always be treated as spam.

The POP3 Proxy version of SpamBayes tokenizes information about
attachments and would quickly learn "Norton AntiVirus Deleted1.txt" is a
spam clue.  Unfortunately, Outlook removes too much information from the
message before the SpamBayes plugin gets it, so we can't accurately
reproduce enough of the attachment information for the tokenizer to
recognize them.

This is definitely an area that we would like to improve on in the
future and there has been a good bit of discussion about it, but so far
no solutions.

--
Kenny Pitt