[Spambayes] SpamBayes Web Interface??

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Apr 13 23:48:26 EDT 2004

> The main thing is that the "Review Messages" table is too wide for my
> screen.

What resolution are you using?  I'm guessing 640x480 - I tried 800x600 (as
small as I can go with this monitor) and it fit ok.  In the advanced
configuration options there are some ways you can tweak the review page -
i.e. remove some of the columns (or add more), which might help.  The page
should resize as small as it can, fitting in everything in the appropriate
column.  How would you modify it to make it fit a smaller screen?

> Other things I'd like to change:
> Pasting a message into the 'Train this message' box.  The box is SO
> SMALL.  I'd like to enlarge it, or make it resizable so I can see more
> of the message.

I don't think a resizable box is possible with HTML.  It's long been
recognised that the box is pretty small - a comment in the code indicates
that the original intention was to separate out the stuff on the main page
into separate pages, and then make the boxes bigger.  I think people have
become accustomed to the boxes on the front page, though.

A problem is that the textbox doesn't resize nicely like most HTML elements.
It could be wider (say 80 characters rather than 60) and still fit on a
800x600 screen, but that would make it worse for those with smaller screens
(like you, I'm assuming).  I gather you'd rather have more vertical length -
how much more?  Would a couple of extra lines be enough, or would you want a
large paste box on its own page?

> (I've been cutting out the SpamBayes headers, so it
> trains on a message without those clues)

You can safely leave those in, unless you've changed the tokenizing options.
Almost all headers are ignored by default (excluding "Subject", "To",
"From", "Received", and so on), including all the SpamBayes ones.  With the
1.0b1 release, even the "spam," tag used by Outlook Express users in the
subject or recipient list is correctly removed.

> Instead of leaving that page to view a specific message, I'd
> like to pop open a different browser window and review it there.
> Hmmm, maybe I can do this simply by right-clicking on the message
> and choosing 'Open in a new window'

Yes, you can do this.  Or by shift-clicking the link.  I think the default
of having it open in the same window is liked by more people, so, given the
ease of doing it the other way, I think this will remain unchanged.

However, this one is easy to change, unlike the above, if you want to run a
modified version yourself.  Just install resourcepackage and change the
appropriate links in ui.html to have a "target" attribute.  I forget what
the code for 'new window' is - something like "new" or "_new".

> And finally links to all the SpamBayes Web Interface pages up top.

At the top of all pages, or just some?  Something like "Home  Configuration
Statistics  Review  Help" (where each word is a link) at the top of each
page?  I can see something like this might be useful.

> I think maybe your Outlook addin does this.  Some of the mail
> in the list seems to be describing 'toolbar'(s) that I don't have.

The Outlook addin is tightly integrated into Outlook, so it provides a
toolbar in the actual mail program itself where you can access all the
things that sb_server users have the web interface for.  It's nicer in many
ways, but it requires a lot more work, and a new version has to be made for
every mail client, unlike the web interface that works with any.  There has
been talk in the past about creating a similarly integrated Eudora plug-in,
but nothing (that I know of) has come of it.  With the Windows tray app now
available, and the likely dialog-based configuration and drag-and-drop
training to come, I suspect that the generic approach will remain acceptable
enough to not worry about it.

=Tony Meyer

---