[Spambayes] user needs help

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Apr 29 01:29:47 EDT 2004

> I have two concerns:
>
> 1)      I have some email addresses from senders who
> are safe and I want to receive their emails, however,
> not matter what options I set, they always end up in
> the junk senders' folder.

FAQ 6.6 talks a lot about this:

<http://spambayes.org/faq.html#why-don-t-you-add-whitelisting-blacklisting-t
o-spambayes>

You can get the same functionality, if you really want it, by using
Outlook's own rule system to intercept trusted messages before SpamBayes
gets hold of them.  However these should be easily trainable (see below).

> 2)      Along with problem #1 please note that whenever
> I highlight an email in the junk senders list, which
> I've determined is not a junk sender, and click on the
> smiley face "Recover from Spam" button, nothing ever
> happens.  That very same sender will end up right back
> in the junk senders' folder on their next email to me.

This really indicates that something is going wrong with training.  The only
way we can figure out what it is is if you select a message (before clicking
"Recover from Spam") and choose "Show Spam Clues for this message" from the
SpamBayes menu.  This opens up a message with the clues used to classify
that message.  You might be able to see from the clues why it scored what it
did, but if you can't, then forward it on to the list and we'll explain
what's going wrong.

> I also do not understand how I'm supposed to be "training"
> the program how to respond to different senders.  Whenever
> I manually move a good email out of the spam into its proper
> folder, it never remembers the action.

Note that SpamBayes cares very little about the sender of the message (it's
one clue - token - among many).  If you're using the "Recover from spam" or
"Delete as spam" buttons, then it should be doing the appropriate training.
Moving the message without using those buttons may or may not be training,
depending on your option settings.

=Tony Meyer

---