[Spambayes] Newbie outlook/spambayes/multiple folder question

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Thu Jul 8 13:32:00 CEST 2004

The problem with that scenario is that Outlook allows you to specify only one folder at a time for the delivery of incoming mail, no matter how many sources of mail (Exchange, POP3 servers, etc.) are in use. I think you could then use Outlook rules to dispatch on the message source, but you'd run up against the non-deterministic nature of the interaction between Outlook and Spambayes rules. (That problem is covered in the FAQ, and I won't belabor it.)

What you could do is use separate Outlook profiles (not to be confused with Windows profiles) for the different incoming message streams. But the Outlook profile mechanism is complex, and most users probably don't understand it very well. I think it's primarily intended for situations where multiple users share the same account. I'd certainly hesitate to recommend it to someone who characterizes himself as an Outlook newbie.

Bob