[Spambayes] [spambayes-dev] ham goes not left to the original folder - Outlook2003

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed May 25 01:24:21 CEST 2005

Please note that the spambayes-dev list is for discussion about the
development of spambayes.  General questions, bug reports, and so forth
should be directed to spambayes at python.org.

> ham goes not left to the original folder - Outlook 2003....
>
> My original folder is (IMAP) inbox
> Then after spam-filtering it goes to folder "SPAM"
> Bu then i go to folder "SPAM" -> take one of this mails and
> click an NOT SPAM"-icon Then the programm move it to thew
> lokal INBOX - and not to the IMAP-inbox folder.

Are you using the latest version (1.0.4)?  If not, upgrading *might* help.

If you look in your log, you will probably see entries that say something
like "Moving back to original folder; can't find original folder, moving to
default inbox instead" (I can't recall what the exact wording is).

The problem is that SpamBayes tries to save information about the message
(the folder it was originally in) when it moves the message.  This means it
knows where to move it back to.  Sometimes Outlook stores (particularly IMAP
ones) do not let you save additional information with messages, however.
This means that SpamBayes can't remember where it originally was.  It needs
to put it somewhere, so it takes a best guess, which is to the default
store's inbox (where incoming non-IMAP mail will go to).

There are two possible solutions:

  1.  If possible, you could change the default store to the IMAP account,
so that SpamBayes would fall back to the right folder.  This will change
where mail arrives, though, so you may not wish to do this.

  2.  SpamBayes 1.1 has as fix for this (the information is also stored
locally, so it can fall back to that).  1.1 is in alpha at the moment, but
IIRC there haven't been many reports about problems with the Outlook
plug-in.  So you could try downloading 1.1a1 and using that.

=Tony.Meyer