[Spambayes] What do the filter/webservers do?

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Wed Nov 1 15:57:58 CET 2006

I can't find a clear explanation of what is supposed to be happening
when I run, e.g. sb_imapfilter.py, with no options.  Here are some
questions:

---

The docs say it is "classifying" my email.  Does that mean it is
moving supposed spam to the designated spam folder and supposed ham to
the designated ham folder?

---

The sb_imapfilter.py --help contains the following:

      We never delete mail, unless you use the -e/purge option, but we
      do mark a lot as deleted, and your mail client might remove that
      for you.  We try to only mark as deleted once the moved/altered
      message is correctly saved...

I guess that means it's not really removing the messages.  Is there a
mail client that will show me the messages that are marked deleted but
not expunged?

---

When I run

  sb_imapfilter.py -l 1

the program exits instead of continuing to run.  However, if I visit
the webpage that is supposed to be enabled, it is blank (no 404 error)
and I get this message on the console that launched sb_imapfilter.py:

  channel 3: open failed: administratively prohibited: open failed

Does anyone know what that means?

---

Thanks,

--