[Spambayes] SpamBayes feedback

Scott scotthaggard at cox.net
Fri Oct 20 16:27:45 CEST 2006

Hi. First, thank you for making SpamBayes a free product. I truly appreciate
your work, and you've done a fine job. I would like, however, to share just
a couple of quick feedback items.

[-] I found that SpamBayes to be much less accurate "out of the box" than
other free anti-spam products I've tested. It's my opinion that SpamBayes
took much longer to train than I expected in order to reach a level of
usefulness. I have fed SpamBayes well over 1000 spam messages. I have been
more disturbed by the much higher number of false positives than by the spam
that SpamBayes missed. But it has been working much better lately. I of
course consider the possibility that the ever-changing tactics of the
spammers is partly to blame. I haven't used a different anti-spam product in
quite some time.

[+] I love the Outlook integration. I like this much better than the common
alternative of a local proxy. Thank you!

[-] I don't like having a "Junk Suspects" folder. To me, this just means
that I have two spam folders to manage instead of one. As a work around, I
have just set both spam and spam suspects to go to the same Junk folder. I
just made this change, so I don't yet know if this will cause any problems,
but I don't see why it should. I just wanted to let you know that I think
it's not overly useful, to have the Suspects folder I mean, if the spam is
getting separated from my Inbox in the first place, and I have to evaluate
it anyway, that it should all be in the same spam folder. My previous
comment about "ever-changing tactics" on the part of the spammers should be
a good example of the fact that what is and isn't spam is hard to determine.
Therefore, I cannot (and should not) trust 100% that everything that goes
into the Junk folder really is spam, and that everything that goes into the
Suspects folder isn't spam. Hence, I have to manage both.

Thanks for your time, and thanks again for SpamBayes!

Best Regards,
-scott