[Speed] ASLR

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Mar 16 05:22:00 EDT 2017

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 01:50:39 +0100
Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I made my own experiment on the impact on temperature on performance,
> and above 100°C, I didn't notice anything:
> https://haypo.github.io/intel-cpus-part2.html
> "Impact of the CPU temperature on benchmarks"

I suspect temperature can have an impact on performance if Turbo is
enabled (or, as you noticed, if CPU cooling is deficient).

Note that tweaking a system for benchmarking (disabling Turbo,
disabling ASLR, etc.) may make the results more reproducible, but it
may also make them less representative of real-world conditions
(because few people disable Turbo or ASLR, except precisely on
benchmarking machines :-)).  It's a delicate balancing act!

Regards

Antoine.