[stdlib-sig] Proposal: new "interpreter" module

Benjamin Peterson musiccomposition at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 20:07:12 CEST 2008

I originally brought this in the discussion about removing types, but it can
be separate.

Through the years, sys has gather a fare share of crud. Much of these new
additions are low-level and CPython specific. I believe the sys module
should strive to be an interpreter neutral, clean module. Hence, I propose
the "interpreter" module. We could move all those internal functions like
_getframe(), get/setrecursionlimit(), get/setcheckinterval(), etc to it.
Also, if we decided to remove the types module, this would be a natural
place for frames and code objects.

I look forward to your comments.

--
Cheers,