[stdlib-sig] Proposal: new "interpreter" module

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 23:09:48 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Benjamin Peterson
<musiccomposition at gmail.com> wrote:
>  PEP: XXX
> Title: The interpreter module
> Version: $Revision$
> Last-Modified: $Date$
> Author: Benjamin Peterson
> Created: 4-April-2008
> Python-Version: 3.0
>

> Abstract
> ========
>
> This PEP proposes a new low-level module for CPython-specific interpreter
> functions in order to clean out the sys module and separate general Python
> functionality from implementation details.
>

> Rationale
> =========
>
> The sys module currently contains functions and data that can be put into
> two
> major groups:
>
> 1. Data and functions that are available in all Python implementations and
> deal
>     with the general running of a Python VM.
>
>    - display_hook, stdout, stdin, and stderr
>    - flags and warn_options
>    - settrace, and setprofile
>    - traceback, excepthook
>    - etc...
>

> 2. Data and function that affect the CPython interpreter.
>
>    - get/setrecursionlimit
>    - get/setcheckinterval
>    - _getframe and _current_frame
>    - getrefcount
>    - getdlopenflags

Why getdlopenflags? That seems general to any Python implementation
that opens dlls (though I believe the dl module is going away in
Python 3, so it may not matter).

Also, maybe settscdump should be moved as well? Its description says
to look at "Python/ceval.c"

Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me.

Steve
 --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy