[stdlib-sig] Any ideas on how to handle urllib, urllib2, and urlparse?

Christian Heimes christian at cheimes.de
Wed Feb 20 17:22:57 CET 2008

Facundo Batista wrote:
> What to do with the methods that will be lost because of keeping a
> slightly different one with the same functionality? We could keep them
> with a deprecation warning, or simply let them disappear (+0 for the
> former, even considering we're in 3k).

Merging urllib and urllib2 into a completely new module with a (although
slightly) different API is a good thing. But it also increases the
burden and workload for Python users. We should keep the original
modules around if a change can't be handled by a 2to3 fixer. We can
always deprecate a module for 3.1.

For urllib/urllib2 I propose:

* merge the functionality into a new, improved module
* keep the original ones around for 3.0 and schedule them for removal in
3.1.

Christian