[stdlib-sig] Breaking out the stdlib

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Sep 14 23:40:18 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 14:32, Frank Wierzbicki <fwierzbicki at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> This actually doesn't really require a discussion until someone
>> volunteers to spearhead it because it will happen, it's just a
>> question of who will lead it and whether they will wait for the
>> Mercurial transition.
> Since I represent one of the other python implementations that need
> help, I'd volunteer to spearhead the effort to break up the repo.  I
> probably would prefer to wait until the mercurial transition has
> happened to help with implementation, but that wouldn't stop me from
> having the discussion and starting a PEP since we'll need to work out
> which modules are which.

Great! PEP is going to be needed anyway, so that's a start. As you
said, it can say that the transition will not happen until we switch
to Mercurial. The PEP should probably specify what the criteria is for
a module to be expected to be available for all VMs, what modules
currently do not meet that and thus would be Python-only, how to
document that in Sphinx, structure of the code, and whether anything
beyond sys will have intra-module stuff that is restricted to any one
VM.

Do you want to discuss this on this list, another list, or take it
off-list initially until there is something more concrete to present
here or on python-dev?

-Brett