[stdlib-sig] Breaking out the stdlib

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 15:06:30 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Le mardi 15 septembre 2009 à 08:52 -0400, Jesse Noller a écrit :
>>
>> How do you define "many people"? What if it's used by MEGACORP
>> extensively, but by barely any modules on the cheeseshop?
>
> Of course it's a matter of perception. But if you want some numerically
> measurable input for everything, this discussion won't progress by a
> single bit. And I don't think your criteria will hold either, because
> things like "better", "up-to-date", "more idiomatic", etc., are wildly
> subjective and non-measurable as well.

On the contrary: it's trivial to put numbers to "popular". Which
number would you prefer:

- Search results on Google Code Search?
- Search results on the Cheeseshop?
- A poll of python-{dev,list}?
- A poll of Guido?
- Grepping your company's source code?
- Grepping my company's source code?
- Number of questions about the module on python-list this month?
- Number of hits Google Analytics records for the module's
documentation this quarter?

Collin Winter