[stdlib-sig] urllib.parrrrse does not supporrrrt bytes

Michael Foord michael at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Sep 20 13:49:05 CEST 2009

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Le samedi 19 septembre 2009 à 22:59 +0200, Armin Ronacher a écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Brett Cannon schrieb:
>>
>>> See, you are assuming any design went into other than to make the
>>> thing pass the unit tests. Most modules did not go through some
>>> rigorous design discussion to decide how to make it work with bytes.
>>>
>> So I suppose there would be nothing wrong with providing a patch that
>> makes it work with bytes internally?
>>

> Can you please precise what you are trying to do?
>
> If you just want to replace the implementation without changing the API
> to support bytes, I'm not sure what the point is.

Uhm... the point being to support bytes? :-)

> If you want the public API to support bytes, perhaps it would be worth
> discussing it (on python-dev perhaps, since I'm not sure everyone
> concerned is here)?
> Although since HTTP is bytes at the protocol level anyway, it doesn't
> seem very controversial to me...

I don't see why it should be controversial at all - and I'm sure Armin
is aware enough of the issues to do a good job. Probably posting a patch
and having a discussion on the bug tracker.

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog