[Texas] PyTexas 2011 at Texas A&M in Sept

Brad Allen bradallen137 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 01:25:13 CEST 2011

PyTexans,

Thanks to the efforts of Jeremy Kelley, we have a confirmed venue at
Texas A&M University this coming September 10 (11th also possible if
anyone wants to lead sprints).

So far I haven't spotted any conflicts with the Sept 10 date. At
least, no competing events appear on
<http://calendars.techvenue.com/>. Please let me know if you run
across any conflicts, local or otherwise (other Python or large open
source conferences. BarCamps, etc.).

While we still have an option to hold PyTexas in Waco, I feel strongly
in favor of accepting the Texas A&M bid this year due to several
factors:

 * Faculty interest and support for Python (included in curriculum)
 * Guaranteed availability of a large room (seating 144 people)
 * Food and drink allowed in rooms, opening possibilities of catering
 * Various eateries & pubs within two blocks of the Computer Science Building
 * Closer to Houston (which has had a longer commute to PyTexas in recent years)

Please let me know if anyone has a contrary opinion and wants to hold
PyTexas elsewhere. I believe we need to need to confirm this ASAP in
order to have lead time to line up talks, sponsorship, etc.

Btw, I volunteer to act as chairman of PyTexas for a second year. If
anyone else wants to act as co-chair, or run me out of office, let me
know :-).

I've started a small collection of wiki pages for PyTexas 2011:

   http://pytexas.org/PyTexas2011

Details about the venue are here; these are still preliminary and
subject to correction:

    http://pytexas.org/VenueInfo2011

Btw, this year we decided the wiki would be primarily used as a
documentation application for organizers. We are planning a separate
site to publicize the event, as well as handle registration and
surveys (thanks again to Jeremy Kelley and also Josh Marshall). We'll
be looking for volunteers to review and test the new site; please let
me know if you're interested.