[Tutor] Programming exercises online

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 00:26:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Albert Antiquera wrote:

>   I've been reading Ivan Van Laningham's book "Teach Yourself Python" and
> I'd say that it's a pretty good book to those who are absolutely
> beginners.However, the book doesn't have practice exercises(by that I mean
> it doesn't have a section about sample problems to be solved by using Python
> coding) so I'm kinda seeing myself reading on without much practice. So, I
> guess what I'm asking is: Does anybody knows a site that has a list or
> tutorials on Python ***PLUS*** practice exercises that I can sharpen my
> skills at??? Thanks in advance.

Good evening!  Although the link is down at the time I'm posting, there's
a book called "How To Think Like a Computer Scientist" which has been
"translated" from Java to Python:

  http://yhslug.tux.org/obp/thinkCS/thinkCSpy

Until they bring the site back up, you might want to look at the original
thinkCS book, and get inspiration from its practice exercises:

  http://www.cs.colby.edu/~downey/ost/

Also, there's some more educational material at the CP4E (Computer
Programming for Everyone) project:

  http://www.python.org/sigs/edu-sig/

and I'm sure that the edu-sig people would be more than happy to suggest
sample problems for you.  *grin*  What part are you learning now?  Perhaps
we might be able to suggest a few problems as well.  What are your
interests?