[Tutor] [opinions?] Web development... (kind of long) [ACS?]

Sheila King sheila@thinkspot.net
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:53:28 -0700

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:41:46 -0700, Israel Evans <israel@lith.com>
wrote about RE: [Tutor] [opinions?] Web development... (kind of long)
[ACS?]:

:I'm now reading Philip and Alex's Guide
:to Web Publishing and it seems to offer some great suggestions.
:Though I shy away from anything that has the Captial letters AOL right next
:to each other due to some horrible experiences in my childhood I'm still
:going to therapy for:).

I think that you will find, as you read Philip's book, that he makes it
clear that:
AOLserver is very different from AOL
It was originally a product written by another company. AOL liked the
product so much, they bought the company in order to use it for their
own services. I guess part of the purchase agreement was that it
continue to be a free product. Hmm. I don't recall.

Anyhow, he just glows on AOLserver. If I were running my own web server,
I would seriously consider using AOLserver as the web server software,
based on his recommendations. (I'm on chapter 13 right now...I've been
reading it at a sort of leisurely pace.) The problem for me is, I'm
small time $$$ (personal/hobby) and can't really afford colocation, or
my own pipe to my house. So, I sort of need to use a shared community
server. And so I'm with FutureQuest.net, best community hosting company
on the net. But they run Apache.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/