[Tutor] Broken os.system() in Windoze

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:46:39 -0700

>Check your PATH, make sure that whatever the DOS box is is in your
>PATH. (eg command.com)  You should be able to find environment
>variables in the Control Panel somewhere.  NT/2k has them under
>System, then under the Advanced tab in the System dialog.  I haven't
>looked close enough at my brother's system to know about ME.
>
>-D

I can check the path via Python itself:

   >>> os.environ['PATH']
   'C:\\PROGRA~1\\SYMANTEC\\PCANYW~1\\;C:\\WINDOWS;C:\\WINDOWS\\COMMAND;
   C:\\UTILS;D:\\JBUILDER\\JDK1.3.1\\BIN'

Apparently that's not the problem.  Turns out
r = os.popen('notepad') is working, so I'm able to
get by with that option.  So far a mystery as to
why os.system() would die.  Not positive it has
to do with making WinME boot differently.

Thanks for offering a pointer/clue.

Kirby