[Tutor] script error question

Kirk Bailey idiot1@netzero.net
Mon Dec 16 00:51:02 2002

Folks, I get this error when examining a string for the presence of a smaller
string:

Traceback (innermost last):
   File "/www/www.tinylist.org/cgi-bin/TLlistkill2.py", line 187, in ?
     if mylist not in aliasline:	# if this is NOT the alias to remove,
TypeError: string member test needs char left operand

Here is the block of code it is  happening inside of:

           while 1:                                # create a loop
                 aliasline=string.strip(f1.readline())   #
                 if aliasline=="":
                 	break         # break the loop!
                 print aliasline+'<br>'
                 if mylist not in aliasline: #
                  	f2.write(aliasline+"\n")#
                 f1.close()                            #
                 f2.close()                            #190
                 os.remove('./lists/aliases.tinylist') # delete oldfile
                 os.rename('./lists/aliases.new','/etc/mail/aliases.tinylist')
		# And rename the new aliases file
                 os.system('newaliases')                 # issue 'newaliases'
                 print '<P><center><B>DONE.</b></center>'   #
                         print footer                            #
                         sys.exit(0)                             # now exit.

Anyone intrested, feel free totell me more about this, I thought I had it right.
--

end

Respectfully,
              Kirk D Bailey